Call Us Free: 0800 36 88 133
Follow Us:

About Money Advice Online

Because your money matters

  • Home
  • About Money Advice Online

About Money Advice Online

We're on a mission to provide an easy way to make the right choices for all of life's financial decisions.

Our tools and guides make it easy to expertly pay off debt, choose the best credit cards and insurance, and tackle major life goals, like buying a house and planning for retirement.

debt advice

How To Stop Andrew James Bailiffs Enforcement?

If you are you having problems with Andrew James? Are they chasing you for Council Tax, Business Rates or Benefit Overpayments?

Have you received a compliance notice, notice of enforcement, or missed a payment to Andrew James.

If you have, DON'T PANIC.

Money Advice Online help 100's of people a day deal with bailiffs.

Our team will help you stop bailiff action. We can provide advice, free of charge, and set up an affordable repayment plan for you.

We'll make sure you retain your possessions and can get your life back on track.

Need help with Andrew James?

Just call the team on 0800 36 88 133 (freephone), or fill in the form and we'll call you back and STOP that Bailiff!

Who are Andrew James Enforcement Agents

Andrew James Enforcement Agents are Certified Bailiffs.

They hold a certificate, granted by a judge at the county court, which allows them carry out enforcement action by way of taking control of goods and, if necessary, selling these to recover a debt.

Andrew James provide Enforcement and Debt Collection Services for local authorities in England and Wales.

They collect Council Tax, Business Rates, Parking Penalty Charge Notices and unpaid rent.

You can search the Certificated Enforcement Agent (Bailiff) Register here

What can Andrew James do?

A bailiff (‘enforcement agent’) from Andrew James may visit your home if you do not pay your debts - such as Council Tax bills, parking fines, court fines and county court or family court judgments.

Andrew James must usually give you at least 7 days’ notice of their first visit. This is called the compliance stage.

You usually do not have to open your door to a bailiff or let them in to your home.

Andrew James cannot enter your home:

  • by force, for example by barging past you when you answer the door
  • if only children under 16 or vulnerable people (with disabilities, for example) are present
  • between 9pm and 6am
  • through anything except the door, so they can't climb in through a window.

If you do not let a bailiff in or agree to pay them:

  • they could take things from outside your home, for example your car, bike or van.
  • they will charge an enforcement fee of £235.

Andrew James Letter

If you do let a bailiff in but do not pay them they may take some of your belongings. They could sell the items to pay debts and cover their fees.

Remember, bailiffs can only force entry into a property if they have been inside the property before.

If they have, then they can use "reasonable force" by using a locksmith to get into your home.

They are allowed to try and get access to your property any day between 6am and 9pm.

We often hear from people that have received a text message or call saying the bailiff is sending the removal van and to return home immediately to be there when they remove goods. This is a scare tactic.

If you have had one of these messages, or if the bailiff is at your door, or has left a calling card, you should call the Bailiff Helpline on 0800 368 8133 immediately.

Free help with Andrew James!

Call the Bailiff helpline on 0800 36 88 133 (freephone), or fill in the quick form and we'll call you back and STOP that Bailiff!

What Andrew James bailiffs can and cannot take

Your council can order your employer to deduct a regular amount from your wages toward your unpaid Council Tax. This is called an Attachment of Earnings. If this causes you financial hardship, you can ask your council if they're willing to accept smaller payments.

Deductions from benefits

Your council may be able to apply for deductions from your benefits. £3.65 a week can be taken from income support, income based jobseekers allowance, income related employment and support allowance or pension credit.

Council Tax Bailiffs

Your council can send bailiffs to your home to seize property to sell.

The money raised goes towards paying your debt, plus costs.

The billing authority must send a letter two weeks before the bailiff’s first visit stating how much money you owe under the Liability Order.

You can contact the Council and the bailiffs and offer to come to an agreement on payments.

It’s important to do this straight away, because if the bailiffs make a visit their costs could be added to your bill.

Court hearing for Council Tax Arrears

If your council has tried using bailiffs but your Council Tax still isn’t paid in full, they may apply to the Magistate’s Court for a warrant committing you to prison.

The council will only take this step when other efforts have failed.

Before issuing a warrant of commitment the court must hold a means enquiry with you present.

A warrant will only be issued if the court is satisfied that the failure to pay is the result of wilful refusal or culpable neglect.

The maximum period of imprisonment is three months.

The court may decide to postpone the period of imprisonment on certain conditions, normally relating to payment of the debt over a period of time.

The court also has the power to remit all or part of the debt.

What to do next

Need help with your Council Tax debt?

Our specialists can quickly advise you on what to do if you have fallen behind with your Council Tax.
Simply call the team on 0800 36 88 133, or take the get out of debt test and discover your best solution.

  • Last updated 02 January 2020

phillips cohen associates

How to deal with a Debt Collection Letter from Phillips & Cohen Associates

  • by Admin

Have you received a letter from Phillips & Cohen Associates. In this guide we'll show you a common letter they send, the tactics they use and how to deal with...


attachment of earnings

A Guide To An Attachment of Earnings Order

  • by Admin

Have you received a letter threatening an attachment of earnings. In this guide we explore what an attachment of earning order is, how they work and how to defend...


Contact the Money Advice Team: 0800 36 88 133

0800 36 88 133

(freephone, including all mobiles)
money advice online

Request A Callback

No time to talk, we'll call you back.
money advice

Have A Question?
Ask an expert now.

Need Need Help? Our team of experts will send you their answer by email within 1 working hour.
Connect With Us

advice online reviews

Latest testimonial

Fantastic,they are life savers.

I sat for hours searching online for some kind of help with my debts as I had bailiff letters come through my door and no way to pay with more and more debts adding up. As soon as I spoke to James I felt so much better about the situation. He pointed me in the right direction immediately!


Join 100,000s of Money Advice Onliners who read our WEEKLY email. Get our round up of ALL the best money saving tips, best buys, discount vouchers and competitions. Don't miss out!

* indicates required

We hereby promise to be responsible emailers.

Contact Us
  • Address: Digital World Centre, 1 Lowry Plaza, The Quays, Salford, Manchester, M50 3UB
  • Phone: 0800 36 88 133
  • Email: [email protected]
  • Monday - Friday: 8:00 am - 9:00 pm
    Saturday - Sunday: 10:00 am - 4:00 pm Bank Holidays: 10:00 am - 4:00 pm

Money Advice Online and are tradings name of ATN Group Limited © 2023 All right reserved.
Registered office: Kemp House, 160 City Road, London, United Kingdom, EC1V 2NX. Registered in England and Wales. Co Reg No. 11846763 is a comparison service that acts as an introducer to companies who offer regulated financial advice (FCA approved). Our website is completely free for you to use but we may receive a commission from some of the companies we feature. does not provide any advice and we are not liable for any financial advice provided by, or obtained through a third party. As with any investment, the value of investments can fall as well as rise and maybe worth less than what was paid in. Past performance is not an indicator of future results. does not provide any regulated debt activates in relation to debt counselling or adjusting. You can also get free impartial debt advice by following this link to the Money Advice Service.

Bankruptcy Advice, IVA